History of The MacKay Bridge
The opening of the A. Murray MacKay Bridge on July 10, 1970 was a historic event for the Halifax Dartmouth Bridge Commission. The construction of the second bridge across Halifax Harbour took about three years, and drew international interest due to its design and the engineering techniques that were used for the first time in North America.
The MacKay Bridge was named after the Commission’s former Chairman, who sat on the board from 1951 to 1971.
Mr. MacKay was instrumental in the construction of both the Macdonald and MacKay Bridges, as they were both opened during his tenure. Also, at the time, Mr. MacKay was the Chief Executive Officer of Maritime Tel & Tel.
|A. Murray MacKay Bridge Statistics|
|Total Length: 1.2 km (0.77 mi.) Suspension Bridge Suspended Spans:||739.9 m (2,427.8 ft.)|
|Length of Halifax Approach: 114.3 m (375 ft.) Length of Dartmouth Approach:||381.9 m (1,253 ft.)|
|Width of Deck:||15.6 m (51.1 ft.)|
|Width of Each Traffic Lane:||4.1 m (12.775 ft.)|
|Height of Towers:||96 m (315 ft.)|
|Height of Road Deck (above water at centre span):||55.2 m (181.21 ft.)|
|Clearance Under Bridge (at centre span, high water level):||46.9 m (153.87 ft.)|
|Number of Traffic Lanes:||4|
This description should not be used for navigational transportation purposes.
Further detail can be provided by HHB.
No bicycles or pedestrians/Vehicle clearance-4.1 meters
|Traffic Statistics (both bridges):|
|Daily average vehicle crossings 54,000|
|Total annual vehicle crossings 33 million|
|Total Annual MACPASS Volume 25.4 million (78.8%)|